Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Whites from WV (and other addicts)...

Last Friday, I stopped by a local drug and alcohol "recovery house" for men. I talked to a couple of new comers, and one in particular seemed to get it.  Cam was a thirty-three year old guy that talks too much, and while this usually frustrates me, it was clear that he finally understood a problem with his life.  With just a couple of days being sober, his thinking had seemed to clear up a bit.

"You know, I would do something crazy and because I was drunk, I would say to myself, 'Well, that was weird. Why did I do that?'  Now as I think about it, I think, 'Man, that was insane. My thinking was really screwed up.'" he told me.

The following Monday I stopped by to see one of the other guys, and when Cam saw me.  He seemed to want to ride me a bit about my accent.

"I want to talk like you. What do I have to do to get that accent?"

I told him that I grew up in West Virginia, but had lived in Tennessee. "Most of my accent probably comes from Logan County, WV where I spent my early years," I replied.

When he heard "West Virginia," he seized upon another opportunity to raze me a bit more and probably was trying to gain the upper hand a bit (addicts are manipulators).

He said, "Yeah, I know about West Virginia. I saw that movie The Wild & Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Have you seen that movie? Those people are crazy!"

I had not seen the movie, but I did catch the name "White" as he was explaining what the movie was about.

"Yes, they are just crazy. They do the most outrageous things! And they think it is just 'normal' and that there is nothing wrong with their thinking."

Jesco White, the Dancing Outlaw
Jesco White
I replied, "Ah yes, but aren't they like every guy here? Aren't they like you and me? All addicts need to getting their thinking straightened up."

He walked off thinking about what I had said and probably wishing that he hadn't spoken to me. Maybe he hadn't gotten it as much as I had thought.

UPDATE: When I was looking for a link to the movie, I discovered that Jesco White had died. Jesco White (a.k.a. The Dancing Outlaw) was the more famous (infamous?) of the family and had made an appearance on the Roseanne TV series.

No comments:

Post a Comment